Craft DIY

July 1, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Tiling Our Backsplash

I wanted to add some pizzazz to the backsplash in our kitchen.  I had seen enough HGTV and home renovation shows to know that it was supposed to be a simple weekend project.  It wouldn’t break the bank either, at only a couple of hundred dollars.
Off to Home Depot we went.  We picked up the tile we wanted to use and the basic supplies.  I, of course, chose one of the most expensive tiles that they have in store/carry home as I liked the stainless steel tile integrated into the mix.  As we are slowly but surely changing out all of our appliances to stainless, I thought it would be fun to incorporate that into the tile and add a bit of a modern twist.  That being said, it ended up costing us about $13.88 per 12″ x 12″ tile.  The tile and supplies for this project came in at about $250.
This is the before shot.  Definitely in need of some oomph!
We started by doing a light sanding over the satin paint
Then we applied the mastic with a grooved trowel, then added tile and spacers.
There were tile nippers, cutting and piecing together, but all in all it went pretty smoothly.
 We let it dry overnight. Then we pulled the spacers and started work on grouting. Messy grouting…
I was good at the rinsing
(see, I do put down the camera and let
 someone take a picture of me once in awhile!)
We cleaned up.  We waited a few days and then sealed the tile.  Then we caulked the seam between the tile and the counter top and along the edges.  I loved that Home Depot carried matching caulk to the premixed grout we chose (in Linen).
Daddy D also kicked it up a notch by adding under counter lighting.  He used the GRUNDTAL Spotlights from Ikea.  We purchased two packages, so it cost $50.  I love them!  Great for when I am cutting or doing work on the counter top

I love how it all turned out.
  This was where we started with the sink area last fall.
Stained sink and standard faucet:
And this is where we are now:
So here is the before:
And the after:
I really love how it turned out!  I can’t wait to find the perfect pulls for the cabinets and change those out as well.  All and all it was an beginning/intermediate DIY project, depending on the specifics of your particular kitchen.  It was fairly reasonable in cost for the wow factor of the project, and the outcome is fabulous!
I’ll be linking up here:
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap   up           party!UndertheTableandDreamingWeekend Bloggy Reading

16 Comments

1. That looks amazing! I've been wanting to tile my backsplash too…maybe it could be a 4th of July project. Hmmm.

2. trophyw.blogspot.com says:

Love this! I would love to do this to my kitchen.

3. Oh wow. That tile really, really transforms your kitchen. I love it! Way to go…

4. Looks great!
    i love the colors and shine! So pretty!

5. Miss Charming says:

Great choice on the tile–It looks wonderful!

6. Amy@mad.amyt says:

What a transformation! I love glass mosaic!

7. Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life says:

I love those glass tiles! They look great in your kitchen.

8. Housing market condition 2009 says:

It is an awesome project and looks so nice and also easy to clean …..wonderful, good looking kitchen make over.
    Fabulus

9. You are my hero! That is AWESOME!!

10. What a beautiful job, but more so, what a charming family! Your Seth and my Nick would be fast friends – he also is a bookworm and makes his own comic strips (out of his weekly vocab words, I am a mean momma like that, hee hee. Yes, even during the summer). So glad to have found your blog, would love for you to come visit anytime! I just started a blog last week sharing my passion for the library and how to “use” it to beautify the home. Would love your feedback! xoxo michele

11. Krissy W. says:

Wow!!! That is seriously GORGEOUS!!!! I really love the under-cabinet lighting, too 🙂

12. the cape on the corner says:

that looks great! what a fresh new look. totally envious, my kitchen is last on our list.

13. Lil Mama Stuart says:

I was just at HD and Menards this weekend scoping out some tiles for my kitchen backsplash too! Thanks for sharing, all the inspiration out there is for white kitchens! But I have dark granite, cabinets and appliances and can't decide on a backsplash!

14. Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com says:

That looks great! I have the exact same tile from HD sitting in my garage. I was planning on hiring someone to put it in, but maybe I'll have to give it a try.

15. Jennifer says:

Oh it looks great! I am super jealous! We have to rip off our old backsplach (from 1961) before we can update it. I love the tile you chose.

16. Christine says:

Great work–love your tile choice!