When I was in that in between gardening space this spring, that time where you have bought your seeds and started them but it’s still too cold to plant anything, I was searching for trellis ideas. Last year we grew pole beans for the first time, but they jumped from the 6’ tall poles and onto the surrounding garden fencing. We also grew our cucumbers on a trellis last year and they were spectacular, and not misshapen from growing on the ground.
So I was on the search for some sturdy, large trellises that didn’t take up too much space and didn’t cost a ton. I found these instructions via Pinterest from The Cottage At The Crossroads. After building one, I realized there needed to be a couple of changes, and I put my own stamp on them.
First off, after buying the supplies suggested in the instructions, I quickly came across the fact that there was no way to get the number of pieces needed from the suggested wood purchase list. I also do not put any pressure treated lumber in my garden and am growing organically this year. So, my adjusted instructions include purchasing (3) 2” x 1” x 8’ boards (less than $2 a piece) and (2) 2” x 4” x 8’ boards (less than $3 each) all out of pine.
Please note that we have a table saw and I was able to cut down the 2×4’s into 2×2’s. If you do not have a table saw, purchase (4) 2” x 3” x 8’ pieces. This will make your sides slightly bulkier and less symmetrical, but will be approximately the same size and style.
Next you need to make the cuts to the 2” x 1” boards. You can see all of the pieces needed below.
Using a drill, I pre-drilled each piece about 1/2” in on both sides to minimize splitting when screwed together.
Next you need to mark the placement of the cross pieces on your 2” x 2” x 8’ lengths (those (2) 2×4’s that were cut down, making (4) 2×2’s). Mark each piece at 12” from the bottom, 15” up from that, 15” up from there, and another 15” up from that.
I laid out the 2x2s in an approximate A frame shape, and attached the 11” piece at the tallest marking. And yes, I really do this myself.
Then I attached the 22” board at the lowest marking (12” off of the ground). Now add the 18 1/2” piece and 14 1/2” piece.
Repeat with the second set of 2×2’s. Here is a visual of what you should now have.
Place the two A frames side by side and begin attaching the remainder of the cross pieces. It started to rain, and I do not do rain and wet well, so hubby worked on this part and I took pictures from inside.
Finally, after leveling out all the sides, attach the four 3” pieces on top. Here is your finished product!
I am really into those brightly colored tomato cages that have been all over garden centers. But as my tomatoes quickly overgrow their cages I figured very little would be left to see. And at about $6 a piece, I was not forking over that moola per tomato plant! So I decided to paint my trellises to make them last a little longer, and add some pops of color in my veggie garden.
Each trellis took two cans of Rustoleum Painter’s Touch spray paint. Quick, easy and no painstakingly rolling or brushing all of those sides. The tops also begged for a bit of oomph, so I bought garden stakes, whirly gigs and mini gazing balls and attached them. These improvements are not necessary, and of course bump up the cost a bit.
Here the pole beans are already making themselves at home!
This is the first look at my completed veggie garden for 2014. I am loving it!
If you decide to make one, let me know!